Beard & Bonnet just made my day. Two of my favorite things have come together to create the ultimate dish…kimchi meets mac and cheese. I will never eat mac and cheese alone again!
RECIPE: Kimchi Mac and Cheese by Beard & Bonnet
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Serves: 4 as a main, 6 as a side
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1½ cups skim milk
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large jalapeno, sliced very thin
- 10 ounces gluten free penne pasta
- ½ cup drained & chopped kimchi
- 2 scallions, light and dark green parts, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chiffonade basil
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- thin slices of fresh jalapeno
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter then whisk in the sweet rice flour until it forms a smooth paste. Allow the paste to cook over medium heat until it starts to bubble and smell toasted, whisking frequently. Remove the pan from the heat, slowly whisk in the milk until blended, then return to the heat. Cook, whisking constantly until the sauce begins to bubble and has thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the salt, all but ½ cup of the cheese, and the jalapenos. Set aside while you cook the pasta.
- When the pasta water is boiling add the dry pasta and cook for 5 minutes less than the package suggests. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a large bowl. Pour the cheese sauce over the penne and stir gently until all of the pasta is coated.
- Pour half of the pasta into the prepared skillet, sprinkle half of the kimchi over the top, then pour the remaining pasta on top. Spread the remaining kimchi over the top of the pasta, top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Garnish the mac and cheese with the scallions, basil, cilantro, and jalapeno slices right before serving.
Adapted from Gluten Free-Pasta by Robin Asbell